Thursday, June 4, 2009

Update on my Tomato Planter Experiment





Well I've got my tomatoes planted in my Experimental planter. As you can see the Cherry Tomatoes on top are growing like crazy. I've snipped the top shoot to try and keep the plant more compact. There are a few flower buds so it shouldn't be long before I see some tomatoes. The tomato plant on the bottom is growing more slowly.



Something I didn't think about but found quite interesting is the upside down plant is trying to grow up. This makes sense of course since that is what plants do. But for some reason I just didn't think that it would do that. Of course once it starts getting tomatoes it will grow down. The weight of the tomatoes will make it which is of course the idea so we don't have to stake it in place.

Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of my container garden. I've gotten 4 of them planted and growing well. I've put them next to our fence so that I can use it to secure any plants that need support as they grow.

4 comments:

Over The Top Aprons said...

Very interesting .... I have tried a little bit of container garden... I shall see how it goes.

Unknown said...

Good Luck Over The Top Let me know how it goes.

JOY said...

I love your blog! I am trying a topsy turvy planter this year and mine is going up too. It'll be fun to see what happens, when and if tomatoes start growing.

Unknown said...

Sounds good Joy I think I'll pop over and follow you. We can compare notes LOL :D